Galapagos at a Glance: Southern Islands (Daphne), 6 Days, SAVE $1110*
What you get...
- 6 day tour departing Quito.
- 2 nights accommodation in a Hotel.
- 3 nights accommodation in an Overnight Boat.
- 5 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches & 3 Dinners.
- Transport by Boat, Plane, Bus, Zodiac (Panga).
- Included activities:.
- Isla Santa Cruz - Highlands Visit (3 hours) - Dry Landing.
- Isla Floreana - Post Office Bay - Walk (1,5 hours) - Wet Landing, Post Office Bay snorkelling (45 mins).
- Isla Floreana - Punta Cormorant walk (1,5 hours) - Wet Landing, Devil's Crown snorkelling (1 hour).
- Isla Espanola - Bahia Gardener - Snorkel (1 hour), Bahia Gardener - Walk (1,5 hours) - Wet Landing, Punta Suarez - Walk (3 hours) - Dry Landing.
- Isla San Cristobal - Kicker Rock - Snorkelling (45 minutes).
- WAS $3867*, NOW $2757*, SAVE $1110*.
Quito - Isla Baltra - Santa Cruz Highlands - Isla Floreana - Isla Espanola - Isla San Cristobal
Day 1 Quito.
The adventure gets under way in Quito, Ecuador's sprawling but refined capital city. A welcome meeting will be held this evening at either 5 pm or 6 pm, but aside from that you are free to check out the city on your own today. If you arrive with time to spare, perhaps head to Quito's Old Town and pick one (or more) of the 30 churches to explore.
Day 2 Isla Baltra to Santa Cruz Highlands.
Rise and shine An early start is necessary this morning to make it to the Galapagos with time to play today. This could mean leaving as early as 4.30 am, and an Intrepid representative will confirm the exact departure time during the welcome meeting on day-01. Transfer to Mariscal Sucre International Airport (aka Quito Airport), enjoying a boxed breakfast en route. On arrival in the Galapagos, collect your luggage and meet your naturalist guide in the arrival hall. The action starts straight away with a journey into the highlands of Isla Santa Cruz, into the misty forests filled with unique scalesia. If you're lucky, this could be your first sighting of giant tortoises in the wild, different species of Darwin finches and the world-famous woodpecker and warbler finches. Enjoy lunch in the highlands, then travel to Puerto Ayora and transfer to your boat - the M/Y Daphne. Settle into your assigned cabin, meet the crew and listen to a safety briefing. With the formalities out of the way, maybe head up to the deck with some of your fellow travellers and get to know each other over a drink or two.
Day 3 Isla Floreana.
Discover the quirky maritime history of Post Office Bay, home of the oldest postal system in the Americas. There's a post box here that was first built by 18th-century whalers and is still in use today. Perhaps leave a letter to be collected by another traveller, or have a look for one that you can deliver. Snorkelling and a Zodiac ride are also included in this outing. Afterwards, head ashore at Punta Cormorant where the sand is made up of fine olivine crystal, a glassy volcanic mineral that gives the beach an olive-green colour. Sea lions can usually be seen lounging and socialising along the shore. Explore a little more of the island on a 1-kilometre walk, passing waterbird-filled lagoons and finishing at an Eastern Pacific green turtle nesting site. Later you'll have the opportunity to snorkel in famous Devil's Crown. This eroded volcanic cone is a popular roosting site for seabirds such as boobies, pelicans and frigates. Red-billed tropicbirds can also be seen nesting in the rocky crevices. Those who snorkel here might see rays, sharks, sea lions and turtles.
Day 4 Isla Espanola.
Land at Punta Suarez on Isla Espanola, one of the most attractive locations in the Galapagos, home to a large and varied wildlife population. A hike along rocky trails (approximately 3 km) takes you to a clifftop viewpoint that affords magical panoramas. Boobies line the rocky shoreline below, while frigate birds can be seen overhead. Enormous male sea lions lounge nearby, and albatross use the cliffs as their 'runway', getting airborne on the southeast winds. If you're lucky you might spot the elaborate courtship rituals performed by albatrosses before the female chooses her lifelong mate. Next, head to Bahia Gardner, one of the most beautiful beaches in the Galapagos Islands. It's full of sea lions and hood mockingbirds. Enjoy a short walk (approximately 1 km) along the beach, then snorkel up and explore off shore. Reef sharks, turtles and many species of tropical fish (such as surgeon and angelfish) make their home along the islands shore. Small white-tipped reef sharks are also often spotted resting under the rocks.
Day 5 Isla San Cristobal.
Rise and shine A very early start is necessary in order to make the most of this morning in the Galapagos. Head to Leon Dormido (Kicker Rock), the magnificent basalt remains of a crater in the middle of the sea. The rock rises 150 metres above the surface and is divided into two parts by a narrow channel. Cruise through the channel as nesting seabirds flank the boat, tropicbirds soar overhead, marine iguanas swim about and sea lions lounge on the water. Climb into the Zodiac for the snorkelling adventure of a lifetime, giving you the chance to see Galapagos sharks, sea turtles and an incredible biodiversity of invertebrates in the crater. You might even spot a hammerhead shark. Head to the airport on Isla San Cristobal for your flight back to Quito. The flight will stop in Guayaquil to drop off and/or pick up passengers en route. Arrive at Quito Airport at approximately 4 pm and take a transfer to your hotel. An Intrepid local representative may stop by your hotel this evening to get some feedback on your Galapagos experience.
Day 6 Quito.
Buenos dias There are no activities planned for today after breakfast. If you plan to stay on in Quito, why not join a local guide for an Urban Adventure? Discover the city's stories through the streets, the markets or the bakeries. Find out more at urbanadventures.com/destination/Quito-tours.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 February 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..