Five Days in Cappadocia
What you get...
- The weird and wonderful world of Cappadocia might be the most amazing place in Turkey.
- Its fairy chimneys and sprawling rockscapes look like they were cut out of a science-fiction cartoon
You'll have the chance to take a hot air-balloon ride over the top of it all, giving you the ultimate view of this awesome landscape
Exploring the underground city of Derinkuyu is mind-blowing – it goes 60 metres underground and used to house thousands of people
Work off some of that delicious gözleme with a hike through the beautiful Ilhara Valley
Get a dose of good old-fashioned Turkish hospitality, staying with a local family in a traditional guesthouse in Ortahisar
Breakfasts Included: 3
Dinners Included: 1
Budget hotel (2 nights),Pension (1 night),Overnight Bus (1 night)
Public Bus,Overnight Bus
Age: min 18, max 29
Group Size: 1 - 16
Goreme - Dinner at Cappadoccian Family House
Goreme - Derinkuyu Underground City tour
Cappadocia - Kaymakli Underground City
Goreme - Derinkuyu Underground City
1 Antalya - Cappadocia
Your trip starts in Antalya at 8 am. Meet your leader and the rest of your group, then head to the bus station to travel to Goreme (Cappadocia) by local bus (approx. 9.5 hours). Tonight we'll stay at Nazim's house in Ortahisar, an amazing spot with views over a secluded valley. Tonight Nazim and his lovely family will treat you to some true Turkish hospitality with some stellar home-cooked food, Cappdocia style. Take a walk around with your leader on arrival and maybe visit the Ortahisar Castle in the afternoon. Ahh the serenity.
Phallic rocks, fairy chimneys and underground cities: Cappadocia has it all. This morning you have the option of taking a very early hot air balloon over the crazy landscapes at sunrise (those who choose to take this optional extra will have a seriously excellent time, and your friends back home might think you've been to another planet when they see your photos). Later in the morning it's time to go underground and explore the cities down there. There are 36 underground cities in Cappadocia; the widest is Kaymakli, the deepest is Derinkuyu. These rabbit-warren metropolises were lovingly carved into the earth by the Hittites around ,500 years ago and if that doesn’t get you excited, you’re a robot. Later on there'll be free time to hit the nightlife of Goreme, or hit up a Whirling Dervish 'Sema' performance (optional). Notes: The hot-air balloon activity can only be booked locally. Please speak to your trip leader on Day 1 to organise this.
Put your boots on and hike the hills and mountains to Goreme. Arrive at the local hotel then spend the afternoon resting. A game of backgammon anyone? If your muscles are a little sore from all the walking then you can always try a local hamam too. Don't worry about your luggage, it'll be transferred to your hotel. Thanks Nazim! Thank you driver! The total distance you walk will depend on the group and which route is taken.
4 Cappadocia - Overnight bus
Spend the day exploring the Cappadocia area some more. If you like, you can stop by the Göreme Open Air Museum, a medieval wonderland of old rock-cut churches and frescoes. For a very different taste of the dizzyingly diverse landscape around here, you could check out Avanos, which is a chilled-out little town about 10 minutes away, known for its pottery and a 'red' river. Tonight it's time to say goodbye to Cappadocia (take a couple of last photos as you fight back the tears) and catch your overnight bus to Istanbul (approximately 10–12 hours).
Your trip comes to an end this morning on arrival into Istanbul. But it's a great idea to stay a little longer. So many activities, so little time. You can get all cultural at the Blue Mosque, splash some cash at the Grand Bazaar (the rugs ain't cheap, but they are beautiful and handmade), take a ferry cruise along the blue waters of Bosphorus (this is awesome and only costs a few Turkish Lira, unlike the some of the houses you will see on the shore as you cruise past), or just eat your weight in last-minute pides. You can’t really go wrong. Please note: if you wish to book a flight out of Istanbul today, we recommend avoiding flights before 1pm to allow for any delays on your overnight bus.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 August 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..