Iceland Complete Road Trip, 9 Days
What you get...
- 9 day tour departing Reykjavik.
- 8 nights accommodation.
- 8 Icelandic-style breakfasts.
- Rental car for 8 days with unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT.
- Car pick up/drop off at Keflavik International Airport.
- Tablet with a travel app - the app includes: Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates, A map view of your entire trip, In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly.
- A Road Guide in several different languages, safety guidelines, the app of the Icelandic Meteorological Office, emergency numbers and more.
- Detailed Travel Booklet - Electronic version in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French.
- Customer care service during office hours.
- 24-hour emergency line assistance while you are in Iceland.
- Service fee and taxes.
- FREE GPS system and no charges for an additional driver.
Reykjavik - Golden Circle - Vatnajokull National Park - East Fjords - Lake Myvatn Area - Akureyri - Icelandic History and Horses - Thingvellir National Park - Departure day
Get the ultimate introduction to Iceland, by visiting the amazing highlights of a circular road trip around Iceland. Each day brings unique experiences with local traditions and adventures. Explore all the main attractions of the legendary Ring Road.
Day 1 Reykjavik.
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time in Iceland, it may be ideal to stop and visit the renowned Blue Lagoon where you can relax in its geothermal waters. Important: admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance. We can help you with that Drive along the southern coast of the Reykjanes Peninsula to the charming village of Hveragerdi for your overnight. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area, and because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the "flower village." There are plenty of outdoor and wellness activities to enjoy here, and several restaurants with a unique local focus. There is even a restaurant where the different courses are baked in an outdoor geothermal oven
Day 2 Golden Circle.
Breakfast at your hotel. Head to the Golden Circle natural wonders. Explore Gullfoss, the "Golden Waterfall", and the nearby Geysir hot spring area to see the famous Geysir and Strokkur, as well as numerous other hot springs and boiling mud pools. Continue along the south shore and stop to admire the waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss before continuing to Dyrholaey and the black sand beaches of Iceland's South Shore. Continue to the village of Vik.
Day 3 Vatnajokull National Park.
Breakfast at your hotel. Continue your journey on the Ring Road. Cross Eldhraun, the largest lava flow recorded on the planet in historical times. Visit Kirkjubaejarklaustur town, the former site of a 12th-century Catholic convent. The tour continues over Skeidararsandur sands to Skaftafell, a beautiful glacial area within Vatnajokull National Park. Continue to the stunning Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon to see the birthplace of icebergs. Throughout the day you will also enjoy magnificent views of the mighty Vatnajokull Glacier.
Day 4 East Fjords.
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive from Hofn through Almannaskard pass, stopping to admire the majestic coastline. Continue to the towering mountains plunging vertically into the sea that form the magnificent East Fjords. You'll also pass villages, each with its own special history and charm. The road brings you to Egilsstadir town, located near Iceland's largest forest and a lake said to be home to a legendary (friendly) monster. The area is also getting a name for itself for its excellent locally sourced cuisine. If you have time in your schedule, we suggest a visit to the Wilderness Center, a living history experience where you can enjoy an interactive exhibit and excellent locally sourced meals.
Day 5 Lake Myvatn Area.
Breakfast at your hotel. Explore the empty vastness of the highland desert plateau Modrudalsoraefi as you head towards the Lake Myvatn area. On the way, stop at Dettifoss, Europe's largest and most powerful waterfall. Continue onwards to Namaskard pass with its boiling mud pools and vibrant colors. Explore the natural beauty of the Lake Myvatn area, including the pseudo craters at Skutustadir and the Laxa Salmon River. Dinner and overnight stay in the Myvatn area.
Day 6 Akureyri.
Breakfast at your hotel. Start the day by exploring the peculiar lava formations at Dimmuborgir. Visit the magnificent Godafoss waterfall, where you can walk on paths giving you different views of the water. Afterwards, visit Akureyri, the colorful northern "capital" of Iceland. The town has charming buildings and a beautiful view of the Eyjafjordur Fjord. After spending some time in Akureyri, continue along the coastal roads of Eyjafjordur and the Troll Peninsula. This is a breath-taking drive along steep mountains with amazing views over the Arctic Sea and black sand coastline. The destination is Siglufjordur, set in a beautiful fjord of the same name. This town has some of the finest timber buildings in the country, beautifully restored to their original glory. Siglufjordur is a very picturesque town. Depending on when you arrive in town, we suggest a visit to Siglufjordur's award-winning Herring-Era Museum. The museum recreates the atmosphere of the early 20th century, when Siglufjordur was transformed into a frontier boom town, thanks to a large migration of herring.
Day 7 Icelandic History and Horses.
Breakfast at your hotel. Afterwards, head along majestic mountains and narrow passes to Skagafjordur, considered to be one of the finest places in Iceland for horse breeding. A great place to learn more about Icelandic horses is the Icelandic Horse History Exhibit at Holar University College. Holar was one of Iceland's cultural centers and has buildings from nine centuries of Iceland's history that you can visit. Continue towards the village of Blonduos, built on both sides of the river Blanda. The town of Hvammstangi's Seal Center is a great place to learn about seals and perhaps join a guided excursion to look for seals by boat. Cross the Holtavorduheidi plateau through Borgarfjordur to the beautiful town of Borgarnes.
Day 8 Thingvellir National Park.
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive to Deildartunguhver, the most powerful hot spring in Europe. The nearby Krauma Natura Hot Spring Spa is a great place to enjoy a refreshing morning bath surrounded by gorgeous landscapes. Stop to admire the beautiful Hraunfossar waterfalls before continuing via Hvalfjordur fjord to Lake Thingvallavatn, Iceland's largest lake and Thingvellir National Park. This UNESCO heritage site is where the world's oldest continuing parliamentary government was founded in the 10th century. It is also the place where the North American and European tectonic plates meet. After your visit here, head on to Reykjavik, Iceland's culturally vibrant capital city. Enjoy exploring the city's many dining options. During the summer you can also enjoy late afternoon and evening activities such as a visit to Wonders of Iceland or FlyOver Iceland or a whale watching tour.
Day 7 Departure day.
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive back to Keflavik International Airport. ** We recommend departing your hotel in Reykjavik no later than at least 3 hours before your flight departure. It takes approximately 1 hour to drive to the airport, and check-in will start 2 hours before your departure. If you did not visit the Blue Lagoon earlier but have some free time today, you might want to use the opportunity en route to the airport. For this detour, please be sure to allow for at least 2-2,5 hours extra so you'll have ample time at the lagoon. Your rental car should be returned to the airport service area, which is located only 2 minutes from the airport building. A shuttle will then transport you to the departure hall.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..