New Zealand Active Adventure (ex Christchurch)
What you get...
- This trip is for those who want their breath to be taken away by more than the jaw-dropping views: heli-bike, jet-boat and bungee-jump your way through New Zealand’s North and South Island.
- Abel Tasman National Park was crafted by mother nature for the adventurous at heart, capture its pristine beauty by kayak, or hike one of the many famous trails.
- Hold on tight for a wild ride along the Whanganui River on a jet-boat experience that feels like a rollercoaster on water.
- Then swap the boat for a bike and cruise through nature on two-wheels.
- Hike into the depths of a fairytale-like forest and reward your efforts with a pancake lunch, cooked on the world’s eternal barbecue at Natural Flames.
- Take the reins and choose your own adventure in the North Island’s outdoor sport capital – Taupo.
- From hiking trails to biking tracks – the options are endless, and the choice is yours.
- Breakfasts Included: 3
Lunches Included: 2
Dinners Included: 3
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 15
Kia-ora! Welcome to New Zealand. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm, however if you arrive early, why not head out and soak up the atmosphere of Christchurch. With a whole new range of pop up cafes, restaurants and bars, Christchurch has hit the ground running in the aftermath of the tragic 2011 earthquake and continues to cope creatively thanks to the resilience of its people. Although in the process of an epic rebuild, this transitional period brings a collection of exciting new buildings opening at an astonishing pace, and the infectious positivity of its people, who will only be pleased to see you. After your meeting this evening, why not head out with your new adventurous travel buddies for an optional group dinner.
Rise and shine as you depart for Murchison at 7.30 this morning. Drive out of Christchurch and venture through the spectacular Lewis Pass, offering beautiful mountain views – just a sample of the scenery to come. Arrive in Murchison, nestled in the Nelson Lakes, and head out to witness the wonder of Natural Flames – the world’s only eternally burning fire, located in a woodland reminiscent of a fairytale. Hike through the fern-filled forest to the point where the natural gas flames spring from the earth, and enjoy a light pancake lunch, cooked upon the fire – mother nature’s barbecue! Return to your accommodation for the evening, located in a peaceful and rural setting near the Buller River.
This morning, soak up the views on a scenic drive from Murchison to Nelson, stopping by the picturesque Lake Rotorua for a photo stop and a leg stretch. Continue to the coastal town of Nelson, nestled within a stunning landscape of idyllic beaches, untouched forest and rugged mountains. This New Zealand hotspot is a magnet for the outdoor enthusiast, and today provides the opportunity to feed your adventurous spirit on a bike ride with a twist – heli-biking! From easy-peasy to hardcore trail options, this two-in-one experience offers a helicopter ride with views over Nelson, followed by the ultimate downhill ride through this breathtaking backdrop. Alternatively, if you’d prefer to keep your two feet and wheels on the ground, then skip the ‘heli’ part and get stuck into the trails straight away. Or, if your idea of adventure lies in a bottle of Pinot Gris, then why not head out on a winery tour, or simply relax back in town.
The adventure continues today as you head to Abel Tasman National Park, it may be one of New Zealand’s smallest national parks, however it’s home to some of the most beautiful walking tracks in the country. The range of trails are limitless, just ask your guide for their recommendations depending on your abilities and the time of year. Afterwards, why not capture the beauty of the Abel Tasman from the water and swap your hiking boots for paddles on a guided kayaking experience along the coastline? Alternatively, you might like to take a catamaran taxi across to one of the upper bays and enjoy a leisurely walk back to your pick-up point, where you’ll continue to your accommodation for the evening, nestled on the edge of the national park.
It’s an early start as you journey through unbeatable scenery to Wellington, located on New Zealand’s North Island. After breakfast, drive to Picton where you’ll catch a ferry through the extensive network of sea-drowned valleys that make up the Marlborough Sound, providing plenty of incredible photo-ops! Continue to cruise across the Cook Strait to the country’s capital, arriving early in the afternoon. Enjoy free time to enjoy the small-city buzz of Wellington – with its epic caffeine and craft-beer scene and endless array of museums, galleries and theatres. Be sure to check out the National Museum, ‘Te Papa’, or ‘Our Place’ for an immersive insight into New Zealand’s history combined with modern art. This evening why not check out Wellington’s vibrant restaurant scene and head out for an optional group dinner.
Bid farewell to Wellington this morning and drive up through the centre of the island to the incredible surrounds near Mt Ruapehu. After your city break in New Zealand’s capital, plunge back into the great outdoors with an optional hike to the spectacular Taranaki Falls, located at the base of the mountain. The easy 2-hour trek (approximately 5.3 km) across cascading rivers and through thick fern forest, rewards you with sweeping views of the volcanic plateau, and an opportunity to soak up the spray of the falls as you walk beneath them. Later, head to the unique Blue Duck Station – an outdoor enthusiasts’ playground and your accommodation for the night. Nestled in a remote area with a natural setting on the banks of the Whanganui and Retaruke Rivers, enjoy a chilled evening and a good night’s rest, ready for tomorrows activities.
7 Mt Ruapehu
Fuel up on a hearty breakfast and prepare for an excellent day of adventure as you kick-start your morning with an adrenaline-inducing jet boat adventure along the Whanganui River. Hold on tight for a wild ride that gives you the high of a rollercoaster on water. Soak up the spray and the breathtaking views as you zoom through the national park at high-speed. Skim past riverbanks cloaked with native bush, and weave through fern-covered gorges as you venture deeper into the wilderness to the landing site. Stretch your shaking legs on land until you reach the Bridge to Nowhere, and with seemingly nowhere in sight – this bridge offers beautiful views that stretch across the surrounding landscape. After lunch, switch things up and capture views of the national park from handlebar height as you head back to Blue Duck Station by mountain bike.
This morning drive to Taupo, the heart and soul of North Island adventure and distinguished by its picturesque lakefront setting and outdoor sports. Get stuck into the buffet of activities on offer today, from bungy jumping to mountain biking, you won’t have any problem finding something that floats your boat. Speaking of boats, if you enjoyed the thrill of yesterday’s river excursion, there’s the option to do some more jet boating right here, or if you can’t get enough of New Zealand’s geologic wonders, then why not head off on a hike – Taupo is a massive crater lake and offers spectacular views across the volcanic landscape (weather permitting). For a culture fix, why not hire a kayak and check out the Maori cliff carvings at Mine Bay or go for walk along the river to the natural hot springs where you can bathe in the hot stream. If you can’t decide, your knowledgeable leader will be on hand to offer their suggestions.
Your active New Zealand adventure wraps up in Auckland today. If you’ve chosen to extend your stay then there’s plenty to see and explore in the country’s largest city. Alternatively, if you’re departing today, please refrain from booking your flight prior to 9 pm to allow for travel delays.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 08 July 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..